Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Double Your Fun.....

We were invited to dinner at my brother's house this weekend and I was asked to bring a side dish to accompany fried chicken. I'd been baking for the past few days with no time to grocery shop, so needless to say there was no recipe involved, but rather a rooting through the fridge and pantry to see what we had on hand.

The result was a creamy, satisfying potato salad with a sophisticated flavor. Although I prefer it warm, it is spectacular served at room temp or cold from the fridge.

There is also a bonus recipe at the end of this post - not to be missed!

Creamy, Warm Potato Salad

28 oz. bag of Baby Red Potatoes
1/2 shallot, minced finely
1/3 Cup white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. mayo
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh herbs (I used chives, green onions and parsley)
Salt & Pepper


Quarter potatoes with skins on and add to pot of cold water.

Bring to a boil and add plenty of salt - lower heat to medium and let simmer until fork tender. Drain and return to dry, hot pot - cover with a kitchen towel and allow potatoes to dry out for a couple of minutes.

In the meantime, make the creamy vinaigrette.

To a large bowl, add the minced shallot, white wine, olive oil, mayo, both mustards, the chopped herbs and a few grinds each of salt and pepper. Whisk together and taste for seasoning - adjust if necessary.

Add hot potatoes to the bowl and combine with the vinaigrette. Serve warm.




Bonus Recipe

Honey Dijon Vinaigrette

After making this salad, I noticed that my jar of Dijon mustard was almost empty - you know, not quite enough to put back in the fridge, but too much to toss.

So it occurred to me that instead of rinsing it out and tossing it in the recycle bin, I could make a quick, easy and delicious salad dressing for later, with the leftover ingredients sitting in front of me - right in the jar!

I added a tsp or so of the grainy mustard, 1 glug of the white wine, 3 glugs of the olive oil, a tsp of the chopped shallot, a tsp of the chopped herbs, a squeeze of honey and salt & pepper into the Dijon mustard jar. I replaced the top and shook, shook, shook.

What resulted was a salad dressing more delicious, and much less expensive, than any of the store bought varieties resting in the door of my refrigerator!

No comments:

Post a Comment