Thursday, November 8, 2012

Me and My Shadow...

 Vicky, shadowing me for the day

As I mentioned in my last post, we've made quite a few changes, both within our family and our business, these past 18 months, which is the reason for my long hiatus from the blog.

One of the bigger changes was the decision to home school our daughter.  My husband and I both work from home and have flexible schedules, which lends itself to the crazy, on the road, never two days alike world of homeschooling.  Her First Grade year was an adventure in kitchen table science experiments, road trips & field trips, backseat math and backyard discoveries.

Her time in public school (Kindergarten) and our first year homeschooling were both invaluable lessons to us, as parents, in what makes our daughter tick and where her passions lie.  We learned that educating children, whether through traditional school or homeschooling, is an ever-evolving process that you need to tweak as you go along.

This September, we made another change and decided to enroll Season in a part-time, alternative school to supplement our home lessons - The Birch School in Rock Tavern.


Season (holding the class dog) with some of her classmates

In addition to her core subjects, she also has ample opportunity to spend time learning about what she loves - in her case, animals, geography, cooking, sewing and science.  The school also matches kids up with mentors who have experience in the areas of study they are passionate about.  This is how I came to spend an afternoon with a remarkably mature 15 year old girl who loves to bake.

Vicky spent a day at our bakery not only observing, but baking side by side with me for much of the day.  It was an education for both of us.

I learned not to underestimate kids and their abilities.  This 15 year old girl had more focus, attention-to-detail and creativity than many adults!  She was well-spoken, enthusiastic, she took constructive criticism with grace and she worked incredibly hard.  It was evident that she was doing something she loved.

The experience also reinforced for me the importance of allowing my own daughter the time and the opportunities to discover what she loves to do.

When she asks to help me in the kitchen, I'll think less about the mess she is likely to make and more about the memories we'll create - and the passion it may spark in her.









1 comment:

  1. Awesome post!! And so true. Keep up the great work. :)

    ReplyDelete